Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yoyo biscuits - the perfect afternoon tea treat!

I remember these yoyo biscuits (cookies) from childhood.  Deliciously short and custardy treats are easy to make.

When my friend Jen asked me over for afternoon tea I said I'd bring something to share.  The ingredients for yoyos are pantry staples so it's always easy to bake a batch at short notice.

I don't know if the origin of these are Australian?  I know it's a recipe that was made by my grandmother and my mother.


Yoyos - short and sweet - a little like me??

Yoyo Biscuits

Ingredients

185g butter, softened
1/3 cup (60g) icing sugar
1½ cups (185g) plain flour, sifted
1/3 cup (60g) custard powder, sifted

Icing

2 tablespoons butter, softened
4 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
few drops vanilla essence
1 large passionfruit, pulped or a teaspoon or
two of water if you'd like vanilla icing.

Preparation method

1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line a biscuit tray with baking paper.

2. Cream butter and icing sugar then stir in sifted flour and custard powder. Scoop out the mixture with a teaspoon and roll into walnut-sized small balls and place on the biscuit tray. With a fork gently press down on each ball so the prongs leave indentations.

3. Bake for about 10mins. Don't let biscuits brown, as they will be overcooked. Allow to cool.

4. To make the icing: mix all icing ingredients together, adjust for taste or consistency. Ice the bottom of one biscuits and sandwich two biscuits together to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment